Sunday, November 15, 2009










For this post I thought it was necessary to recoginize other people who have shown courage to it's greatest extent. Born in Cairo,Georgia in 1919 to a family of sharecroppers Jackie Robinson was subjected to prejuidce at a very young age. His mother and four other siblings made up the only african american family on the block that he grew up on. He gained extrodinary skill at playling sports as an adolescent. He later attended the University of California Los Angeles. While enrolled at this school Jackie was the only athlete that gained varsity letters in baseball, basketball, football, and track. After leaving the army with an honorable discharge, Jackie played one season in the negro aseball league. In 1947 Jackie became the first african american to play baseball in the major leagues since 1889. He gained titles such as rookie of the year, and as later inducted into the baseball hall of fame. "I guess you'd call me an independent, since I've never identified myself with one party or another in politics. I always decide my vote by taking as careful a look as I can at the actual candidates and issues themselves, no matter what the party label." This wa said by one of the most courageous people that have ever played sports. Jackie Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment